- 1st and 3rd president of Republic of TX
- Supported statehood
- Tried to decrease debt
- Reinstated Texas Rangers
- Signed treaties with Cherokees
- 2nd president of Republic of TX
- Did not support statehood
- Increased debt
- Father of Education
- Conflict with American Indians
- Last president of Republic of Texas
- In charge of transition into United States
- “The Republic of Texas is no more.”
José Antonio Navarro
- Supported Lamar
- Mexican signer of TX Dec. of Indep.
- Supported Statehood
- Reinstated by Houston after army was dismissed.
- They mainly fought against Indians
Johann Friedrich Ernst
- He was the first German to bring his family to Texas.
- In February 1832 Ernst wrote a long letter to a friend in Germany describing Texas in glowing language.
- His letter appears to have been circulated widely in Germany and to have encouraged others to immigrate.
- Ernst became well known as a benefactor to new emigrants from his homeland:
- His house served as a hotel and a boarding house for travelers, and he even assisted new settlers financially.
- He acquired the nickname "father of the immigrants."